Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gardening and Canning

The month of August has been mostly harvesting time. My mom's garden has produced a great deal this year. It has been such a blessing for them to store it and share it with everyone. Best of all, the kids have a great time helping out. Here are some pictures I took a couple weeks ago. My mom got them little hats and boots which Brayden always knows to put on before going to the garden!

They love riding in the tractor too! This is one of my favorite pictures





Here are the tomatoes...



Corn anyone???



Or Green Beans???



The kids prefer picking the raspberries... Especially Katelyn. If we can't find her she is usually here.





The kids like to fill their little buckets, but most of the time they eat them!






Awe... So cute!



Katelyn helped me pick the cherry tomatoes! Those are great for snacking and they are so sweet!





Brayden helped pick the peppers because he kept on picking the green tomatoes. The peppers my parents have been getting are beautiful. Some of them are as tall as a banana and as wide as a tomato.



Speaking of... Here are the tomatoes we picked that night! We have probably filled the table like this at least ten times. We have made everything from homemade tomato soup canned to salsa, to tomato juice, or just plain canned tomatoes. It has been really great!



These make great tomato sandwiches...



This is only half of the squash that was harvested. As you can see, we have been pretty busy and the kids have a great time helping!


2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow! Looks amazing! My vegetable garden is small, but it is harvesting. My Roma tomatoes are still green, but I am looking for a great freezer salsa or tomato sauce recipe. Let me know if you have any!

A Happy Family said...

Hey Rachel! I read that you are canning your own tomato soup. Do you have a recipe you could share for that? We go through that stuff like crazy with our baked spaghetti. Thanks!